One way you can strengthen a volunteer team is by doing activities together.
Here are 5 great team building activities you can take your team through. Each is designed to bring your volunteers closer together and remind them of the important part they play on your team.
#1 - THE BLINDFOLD GAME
In this game, team members must rely on each other to navigate an obstacle course. It helps build communication skills, listening skills and trust between team members.
- Scatter furniture and objects around the room before the activity begins. Your course should be challenging, but still safe to navigate around.
- Put team members into pairs and ask them to stand at one end of the room.
- One person from each pair should put on the blindfold.
- The sighted people must guide their partners across the room and give instructions to help them avoid the obstacles.
- When each team reaches the other side of the room, Team members should switch roles and then repeat the exercise.
- Why was it important to listen to each other in the game? Why is it important to listen to each other in our volunteer roles?
- What are some communication obstacles we face at times? How can we improve our communication with each other?
- You had to trust one another to navigate through the course. Why is it important for you to trust the people you are serving with?
#2 - HUMAN KNOT
In this activity, team members must work together to untangle themselves. It helps build communication skills and working together to solve a problem.